Dirt work uncovers hidden foundation at Sanborn middle school
June 11, 2020
elvin-Sanborn Middle School has uncovered a bit of history – buried beneath the playground behind the school were walls from a time gone by.
In 1896, a two-story Sanborn school building with a large basement was constructed of Mankato stone, Sioux City brick and stucco. A brick and block addition to the north side was built in 1914. The structures sat in the area that is now the playground. In 1939 a new brick school building was constructed to the south and east of the previous building, which was then demolished.
Now, the 1939 building and a 1957 addition are awaiting demolition to make...