From Our Files
1996: H-M-S High School coping with space issues
May 13, 2021
• May 16, 1946
John W. Harold was hired as superintendent of the Hartley Public Schools. He was coming to Hartley highly recommended from Oakland, Iowa, where he had been superintendent for six years. He previously was the principal at Oakland for three years.
Hartley’s newest grocery store was opening on the familiar corner where Swanson’s Grocery had been located. The new owners were Herm Fick, who owned the building, and Ed Guse, formerly of Hartley. The store was operating under the name Ed and Herm’s Grocery.
Orlie Schlarbaum purchased the Hartley dry cleaning plant from Lou Sc...